Confessions of a Litigious Mind

The random, irrelevant musings of a law school graduate.

Friday, October 06, 2006

you are the good things

so often in society we, myself included, focus on the negative. if you dont believe me, watch any episode of the news on any channel or read any newspaper or any news website. there's hardly ever any good news. and anything that might qualify is usually fluff that wouldnt qualify for news even if michael jackson invited it for a slumber party at neverland ranch and then rep. foley tried to have sex with it.

tv, movies, and magazines force us to either fix or come to terms with our defects. you're too fat, your hair looks like you could be one of dicta's neighbors, you need to eat the cheerios your 4 year old brings you at 330am or else he will grow up with only a mommy, etc. nobody's perfect, but we're going to tell you how you fall short. oh, and by the way, we coincidentally offer a product to fix you. try it!

i think there needs to be more of an emphasis on people recognizing what's good about them. because when people see the bad in themselves they give up hope, steal my tax money via welfare and other poorly executed social programs, then move to apartments around me and haunt my everyday. but this isnt about me, it's about you.

what's your best thing about you? what about yourself are you proud of? what, when you think about it, makes you feel good about yourself?

i'll kick things off. you might think i'm going to say my strikingly good looks, but not this time. sure that's nice, but i'm not a piece of meat. you might also say my self-confidence, but i wouldn't go that far either. or modesty. true, i've got that, but it's not my favorite thing.

no, mine has got to be my sense of humor. i laugh at almost everything, and almost nothing is off limits. i can also laugh about stuff that also pisses me off (see: law school). a few topics i find humorous include, but are not limited to: child molesting priests, dumpster babies, handicapped people, retarded people, and midgets. i mean, what's funnier than the hypocrisy of a priest molesting a handicapped midget baby then throwing it in the dumpster when he's done, only to have a mass of people gather every sunday and hang on his every holy word?

as a side note, it just occured to me that people might notice how i'm constantly amused by child molesting priests. it doesnt help that a new one is outed every few days. but also, i can guess what some of you might be wondering and no, i was not molested by a priest when i was younger. i fancy the ladies, dominique to be specific. besides, it was kind of a turnoff when i learned that "holy" didnt really mean what i thought it might.

7 Comments:

At 10/06/2006 2:43 PM, Blogger law monkey said...

i wish i could tell you the best thing about myself, but i'm currently suffering a crisis of confidence. hence my recent post in which i equated law school to the military (and, indeed, characterized law school as being more psychologically damaging than the military).

but, on the whole, i agree: more happy thoughts are needed. that, and hope is important.

 
At 10/06/2006 3:08 PM, Blogger LawNut said...

My sense of loyalty is what makes me feel good about myself. If I like you, I really like you and won't ever cross you. Now on the other hand...if I don't like you....

 
At 10/08/2006 3:53 AM, Blogger Ismael Tapia II said...

I read LawNut's response, and then stared off into space, thinking about what the best thing about me was. I discounted most things off hand, and decided that the best thing about me is the fact that I always try to do what I think is right, even when it's not easy. I don't always succeed, but I try.

And then I read holmes' comment, and I felt like a tool.

 
At 10/08/2006 9:03 AM, Blogger josh said...

haha it's all good. i'm pretty sure that with all these people out in the world, two or more probably see the same quality as best in themselves. i think the important part is that you see something.

 
At 10/08/2006 10:53 AM, Blogger d$ said...

I like that
a.) I'm able to trick good-looking funny guys into liking me
b.) people are ammused my my facial expressions.
c.) I'm pretty good at osteology

 
At 10/09/2006 10:34 AM, Blogger d$ said...

also, im good at spelling.. :(

 
At 10/09/2006 7:11 PM, Blogger sadielady said...

this post reminded me of this time in law school when i was hanging out with three friends, all girls, and one of them decided asked everyone to tell what their favorite physical feature is on themselves, and what physical feature of theirs they hate the most. the girl who asked answered first. she said that her favorite feature of her own was her smile; she said she really likes her mouth, she thinks it's a pretty mouth, and she thinks she has a great smile. this other girl said that she thought her worst physical feature was her nose; she hates her nose, had a nose job once, still hates it, and probably will get another nose job one day. the third girl answered, but i don't remember her answers. i just remember that when it got to me, i was thinking: "i think i have great lips, i think my mouth and my smile are probably my best feature," but i didn't want to say that, b/c i didn't think that the first girl who answered's smile was her best feature at all, and i just didn't feel like using that same answer. i was also thinking how i probably would've said my nose is my least favorite facial feature, but then i thought how cute the girl's nose is who hates her nose, and how i couldn't believe she said that was her worst feature, and so i didn't want to give that answer either. so i said "i don't know, i can't think of any answers, i don't really want to answer those questions." and they all said "oh come on," and i said "no." and then they were all "ok, we're not shallow just because we all said what are most and least favorite features are," and i said "oh i know." and then there was this really awkward silence.

they probably just thought i was a snob. oh well, fuck them.

as to your question, though, i don't know what the best thing about me is, what i'm most proud of. i guess i would say, at this point in my life, considering that most of my life is centered around my work, since i have nothing much else going on, and i've been a lawyer now for 7 years, i'm most proud that i haven't allowed myself to be drawn down into the mud with/by other lawyers who are completely shady and who constantly cross the line of ethics. i may hate being a lawyer, but at least i'm not so uncaring about my career that i allow myself to sink down to other people's levels; i'm proud that i care enough to not cross that ethical line like so many other lawyers i know do all the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home