Confessions of a Litigious Mind

The random, irrelevant musings of a law school graduate.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

fuc--hump day update

i have nothing to say to you. mark your calendars, it might be the only time.

i lied. but that's ok, cuz unlike some people (debbie) i dont pledge 2006 to be lie free. at least i admitted my lie (again, debbie).

things are good. dominique and i are looking at prospective places to live next year, so that's getting quite exciting. i graduate in 7 months...what's not to like about that? i golfed well last weekend with my parents, and plan on golfing more this weekend.

my interest is waning in school, but i'm finding that this gives me more free time (not that there's much to do here though) as i learn better ways to cut corners. now i wont sit here like i would guess a number of other law student bloggers do and tell you that i've been slacking since day 1. i dont feel the need to gain a superficial popularity online by lying, and i have no need to feed my ego in this manner. i can fully assure you that my ego is already probably filled to capacity anyway. there was a point in time when i was genuinely interested in the law, and thought i would like this. it wasnt really until this past spring/summer that i've started leaning away from practice. while interested, i did work hard in school. and i still work, just not as hard.

some of you know that i've recently been wishing i'd gone for a phd in philosophy instead. but hindsight is 20/20, and as dominique correctly pointed out to me, at the time i felt the same about law school as i now do about the philosophy phd. knowing all that i do now, i still think the phd would've been a better fit for me, but it's not fair of me to second guess my decision to come to law school. and hopefully i'll still find a way to make this degree work for me. and maybe i'll get the chance someday to go back and get a masters or phd, we'll see.

on that note, dominique and i are taking a trip next week to a land far, far away (or at least not in pennsylvania thankfully) to check out a school for her phd and a city for us to live in. be jealous...it's going to be fucking awesome. you should probably just ignore that shit "god" tells you and start coveting my life now. thank you and goodnight.

7 Comments:

At 10/11/2006 5:40 PM, Blogger josh said...

wow, this guy's a fucking prick...









but i love him.

 
At 10/11/2006 6:29 PM, Blogger LawNut said...

Well, at least when you get out of law school you're going to be making a hell of a lot more money than you would with a PhD in Philosophy...sad but true.

 
At 10/11/2006 7:07 PM, Blogger LawStudentGuyPerson said...

I don't know, lawnut; you could work at a high-powered philosophy firm, but I hear the competition for those jobs is fierce.

 
At 10/11/2006 10:11 PM, Blogger law monkey said...

you'll find a way to use your degree. you might not end up doing actual practice, but i'm sure it won't turn out to be a complete wash. if nothing else, you can always come up with fun prostitution-tax hypos.

 
At 10/12/2006 2:30 AM, Blogger Ismael Tapia II said...

I, too, strongly considered getting a Ph.D. in philosophy. In fact, I wanted to do a dual degree, with the Ph.D. in order to learn a lot of interesting shit and the J.D. to pay the bills. But I ended up going with just the law degree, and it's worked out for me so far, except for the job thing.

I'm sorry your experience hasn't been as positive.

 
At 10/12/2006 11:49 AM, Blogger Brancibeer said...

Hmmm... i think you should re-read my post entitled, "So your going to move in with your girlfriend....". Oh wait, i think that was a letter and not a post. Well anyway, i wrote it to Murphy when he was considering moving in w/ Jenny. I'll see if i can dig it up tonight.

 
At 10/12/2006 3:40 PM, Blogger d$ said...

why i do i have a feeling i wouldnt like that letter...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home