Confessions of a Litigious Mind

The random, irrelevant musings of a law school graduate.

Friday, November 10, 2006

why i won't be a lawyer, or alternatively, why i'm awesome

i initially began responding to the discussion in the comments of the post below, but i thought this discussion was worthy of it's own separate post, so here it is:

i entered law school fully intending to practice law. i had taken some "pre-law" courses in both high school and college, and was pretty sure that's what i wanted to do.

then i got to law school. first year was an adjustment. it doesn't really matter what you read or who you talk to, you aren't fully prepared for law school. but first year it was a challenge, and on the whole, i liked it.

i transferred for my 2nd year because i wanted to be closer to where i grew up, thinking i might like to go back there upon graduation. since then i've really missed my 1L friends (yes, even holmes). plus, i made the mistake of transferring to a horrendous institution, but that's a story for another day (and indeed i've discussed it on numerous occasions).

the summer after 2L i worked for a firm and, despite the money being good, i absolutely hated it. to put it into perspective, law-wise i was actually looking forward to coming back to this school for classes (though i was much happier over the summer being closer to dominique, friends, family, and a much nicer region of the country). and i was at the exact type firm which, if any, would have fit me best and made me happiest. and it was abysmal.

so, i have since decided that i'd like to use my degree and take my life in another direction. it's pretty hilarious to see other students' reactions when i tell them this...it's as if i'm breaking some code. but it's what will make me happiest.

money won't make me happy.
time away from dominique, friends, and family won't make me happy.
prestige won't make me happy.
power won't make me happy.
a nice title won't make me happy.
practicing law won't make me happy.
in other words, conforming to what i "should do" as a law school graduate won't make me happy.

for me, it's a nice balance of everything. and for me, practicing law upsets that balance. too much of one nice thing is worthless if you have none of another. come may, i'm off into the "real world" to find my balance. and i will. and i'll love it.

when i began, i was intent on going to law school to learn about the law, thinking that's what i wanted to do with my life. but that changed when i really learned everything that it entails. it no longer appeals to me. i could blame stuff i've read, or people i've talked to, or the inadequacy of pre-law programs, but i just think law school on some level is something you just need to experience to know if it's for you or not. no one else can tell you what's for you. the decision is all yours. the freedom is all yours. and it shouldn't be scary, it should be inspiring.

i think holmes is correct when he questions whether anyone really knows what they want to do for the rest of their life in their 20s. ok, maybe some do. but no one could surely expect everyone at these ages to know. and i dont feel bad about changing my mind. sure, maybe i would've done something else. but if i did, and never came to law school, how would i have known law school wasn't "it." that's not to argue that people should try everything first, but it is ok to try more than one thing.

i tried law school, and i liked very little of it. but really, i love that. because i admit that it's not right for me and know that going the non-practice route is what's best for me, i am fully embracing my complete freedom in may. even if i dont have a job lined up or dont know where i'll be living, graduation day will be a day of celebration. perhaps not in the traditional sense, but for me it will be much much more than that.

7 Comments:

At 11/10/2006 5:31 PM, Blogger LawNut said...

Bravo, Dicta, for such a frank answer. I think that knowing that it isn't for you after having endured it for the reasons you have outlined, makes you that much smarter than those who convince themselves that it is for them even though they hate it.

 
At 11/10/2006 7:40 PM, Blogger josh said...

well, that's what i'm hoping. and i know plenty of people who are fearing the bar, getting a job, and working next year, whereas i'm so excited and can't wait!

 
At 11/11/2006 2:13 AM, Blogger josh said...

i've noticed the job thing too. in one sense they're relieved because the search is over, but in another they've realized, "oh, i'm going to be doing this for the rest of my life." particularly when they're working for the same firm for which they have worked during the summer or for which they are currently working. i think it's something like a realization that what you thought might just be your summer learning experience has actually turned into your real job and your life.

one thing i think is helping me is that i always have looked at my summer jobs (including the firm) as just that...summer jobs. but upon graduation i'll be looking (or hopefully maybe even have!) for a job with the intention to be there for a while. to me at least it's a whole different mindset.

 
At 11/11/2006 2:15 AM, Blogger josh said...

also, for holmes...i'm trying to find a time to work out a visit. it'd be nice to see everyone while you're all still in the same area together. however, barring that, i'm not too worried about being able to work something out with guys like you and charley, as i don't see us losing touch.

 
At 11/11/2006 11:02 PM, Blogger sadielady said...

"but i just think law school on some level is something you just need to experience to know if it's for you or not."

In a way, the same thing can be said for working for a big firm. One of my best friends whom I met after law school, after I moved to this city, heard a lot of my complaints about the law firm I used to work for, while she was working for as a law clerk for a judge. After two years of that life, she and I made opposite transitions at the same time; I got out of the big-firm life, took a bit of time to clerk for a judge while trying to figure out what kind of legal job better suited me (the one I'm in now), and she left the court where she was working, and entered into private practice. Though she went for a smaller environment, she went to work for a couple of litigators who do a ton of work and are well-known in our little area of the law in this city. And she ended up hating it. She told me later, after she left that place, that you just don't really know whether it's for you or not for you until you try it. I think that's true of law school, practicing law, doing litigation or some other area of law ... what have you. There are some things that you just don't really know if you'll like it or not, or want to stick with it or not, unless you give it a shot, because it's different for different people. I know people at my old firm I made friends with back then who have since left to work for smaller firms, left to work for corporations as in-house counsel, and left to take teaching jobs; I also know people who have stayed and are on track to become partners, and I'm sure they'll do well. How can you really know if something is right for you, is something you'll like well enough to stay with, unless you give it a try? And if you do give it a try and find that you just don't like it at all, who is to blame you for recognizing that early on and moving on to something else?

 
At 11/12/2006 5:46 PM, Blogger d$ said...

not spending time with dominique would not make me happy either.

 
At 11/12/2006 9:47 PM, Blogger Butterflyfish said...

Great post dicta.

I hope your choice works out for you. I really do. You seem really at peace with it -- which is better than most people I know. You also sound a little like me the day I decided I could not teach anymore... though it took me 8 years to have the courage to say "this is not for me. this doens't make me happy. I'm moving on now."

Yeah, people, especially friends who are still teachers, look at me strangely when I say that. Personally, I think its envy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home