Confessions of a Litigious Mind

The random, irrelevant musings of a law school graduate.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

you already raped me once (i wasn't even dressed slutty), and now you're just getting greedy

like a bad dream you can't shake, such is my former law school. i thought i was done. i thought it was over. i talk to just one person who's still there, and he'll be done shortly. all my school mail is forwarded to my parents' house. they take it and put it up in my old bedroom, where i can just conveniently throw out the entire pile. we had a great system going...until this week.

it began with an email. somehow "career services" (and i use that phrase more loosely that tom cruise's vagina), obtained my personal email address. in my time at school, i was extremely careful to only use my school email for any and all things related to school. only 4 people--friends at school--had knowledge of my personal email address. anyway, the email asked what i was now doing with my life. if i have found a job, what is it? if not, can they help me find one? now i should mention, that this offer, 9 months after graduation, is the most anyone at that school has ever done to help me find a job.

in keeping with my hatred of this school, i didn't respond to the first email. all they did was shun me while i was there, so why the hell should i cooperate now that i'm out?

then i got a second email. this time it was from a professor that i had for one class. for some reason, said professor voluteered to contact me again for career services. how she knew they were looking for me, i'm not sure. and if they seeked her out, they could've made a much better choice. i still speak with one professor from time to time. he was the advisor for the law and philosophy society. he's awesome. anyway, this professor emailed me asking me to email career services and update them.

if nothing else, i'm a man of consistency. this time, i didnt email career services or the professor.

but just like the mob (probably not a bad overall comparison anyway), they hit me where it hurts--my family. the school called my goddamn mother on me. now, my mother knows how i loathe this institution, but my mom is very nice, and in a moment of weakness (i'm assuming...we have yet to discuss this. i'm waiting until my parents get back from vacation), she gave them my cell number. my last untouched sanctuary.

the school showed me that two can play the game of consistency. not that i would expect anything else, but once again the school admins were a bunch of dumbasses. when the school called, i was at work. my phone vibrated (best feature ever) and i recognized the area code as being pennsyltucky, but i assumed that one of my friends had gotten a new number. one of my good friends from home lives there now and i'm not sure i put his landline into my phone.

i answered the phone, and disappointment immediately set in when i realized who was on the other end. i advised them that i was at work, and would have to speak with them later. instead of understanding the reality of the situation, they brushed my statement aside and asked where i worked, what i did, my title, and if i enjoyed it. i again said i would have to talk to them later, as i was at work. this time it registered, but they still pushed me for a time. ironically, had career services been this pushy when i was still in pennsyltucky, i might already have a job that they know about. but i digress.

the end result is this: i emailed them back with a short, lacking email with the bare essentials of their request. now i'm apparently on some resource list for students who want to learn more about careers that don't involve being someone's bitch. i'm almost ok with this. i'm sympathetic to other students who realize they don't want to practice, especially if they got duped into that horrible institution as many in my class did. but i'm still thinking it might be time for a new email address and phone number.

6 Comments:

At 2/22/2008 6:16 PM, Blogger Supreme Monkey Overlord said...

i never heard from my school until i graduated. they wanted money and to know how i got my co-ops so they could copy it. they never did shit for me and then want me to pay them to do work they should be doing. fuck um. you're doing teh right thing by ingoring them. keep up the good work

 
At 2/24/2008 7:31 PM, Blogger Damon said...

The use of "rape" to mean getting worse service than you hoped probably wouldn't sit well with anyone acquainted with the real meaning.

Would either of you have your jobs without your degrees from the institutions you so look down upon?

 
At 2/24/2008 8:20 PM, Blogger josh said...

it was financial/educational rape. a completely different point of entry.

and i could definitely have my job without the degree from my law school. the only requirement is a bachelors.

 
At 2/25/2008 7:33 AM, Blogger Damon said...

Being qualified for the job doesn't mean they would have selected you, and you've said an advanced degree is eventually required for your profession.

 
At 2/25/2008 6:36 PM, Blogger josh said...

ok, but you could always say that qualified candidates get turned down for jobs. outside of house counsel, i only know of 1 other person in the office who has a JD. so that's about 2 of 80. i don't think it's really required. it might eventually help me get promoted more quickly, but i'm pretty sure even that will be based upon my work at the company, not my degree.

all that aside, even if the degree were required i could have obtained it from any school. once you're beyond yale/harvard/top 10, the specific school doesn't really matter that much. i could've had the same results and gotten the same job coming out of a school that actually cared about its students, as opposed to one that contacts you more post-graduation so they can use you as a resource than they do while you're within the halls of the temporary school/office building/truckstop thing.

 
At 2/28/2008 10:28 PM, Blogger Legal Pauper said...

I hate career services. I also got the 9 month email. I'm also unsure of how they got my private email. Of course as soon as they were actually willing to help me find a job, I got one on my own.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home