Confessions of a Litigious Mind

The random, irrelevant musings of a law school graduate.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

a fight to the top...

of the list of gigantic assholes.

my issues with dell and my credit card company are well documented, but today a new contender has emerged as a force: dhl.

dhl has some sort of contract with dell. you see, dell fucks up frequently enough that they have contracted with dhl for the latter to deliver the defective computers and accessories back to the former when someone under warranty has a problem. so yesterday i called dhl and arranged for a pickup of my own personal piece of shit. the woman asked me what time i would like them to pick it up, and i replied that anything late morning would be great. she asked how sometime between 10-2 was. i thought it sounded a little too cable company-ish, but i agreed.

as you might also know, last night was $1 draft night meaning today is hangover wednesday. and hungover i was when i got up at 9 today. i packed up my computer into the box, and waited. and waited. and waited.

at 3 the hangover was long gone but my bitterness had grown. i called demanding to know why they told me 10-2 (a time frame they suggested) if they weren't going to bother being here then. the customer service woman, obviously not very smart, seemed confused and transferred me to some guy. he told me they had changed my pickup time to 5, without calling to let me know mind you. i let him have it.

i angrily asked a series of sarcastic questions such as "i took half a day off from work, and now i'll miss the second half. are you going to cover the pay i'm missing?" he answered the questions sincerely. i cursed him out. he told me that due to where i live a driver couldn't come for pickup until the late afternoon. i then asked why they suggested the times they did. he didnt have an adequate answer for this. i asked him how his company was so incompetent that the people scheduling pickups and the people responsible for them dont know what each other is doing. he didnt have an adequate answer for this. i asked him how he thought dhl would get their own corner of the market from ups and fedex when they couldn't coordinate a simple pickup. he didnt have an adequate answer for this. i threw in a few more "jesus christ's" for flavor. he said he was sorry and i said you should be apologizing. he thought i said to stop apologizing, to which he said "sorry." i laughed.

i realize i could leave it on a box on my doorstep and they could pick it up whenever. but i dont like that. first, i dont trust people who have already fucked up bigtime in my only interaction with them. should anything happen, i envision them saying "oh, we went but it wasnt there." i'm not even willing to let that be a possibility. plus, we have people working on our house, and while i'm not horribly afraid of them stealing it, i wouldnt want one to accidentally trip on it or anything like that. in this world, the best way to get shit done right is to do it yourself. and i dont want to have to rely on other people to get shit done. i dont want to mess with other people's stuff, and i dont want other people touching my stuff if it's unnecessary. well, except dominique. she can touch my "stuff."

so now it's 410 and i'm still sitting here waiting for dhl. i suppose in the end it's wholly appropriate dell uses dhl for pickups. it's like they say in the downsyndrome glue factory---retards stick together.

6 Comments:

At 8/09/2006 5:14 PM, Blogger law monkey said...

isn't there a drop-off place? or a staples or something that you could mail it from?

 
At 8/09/2006 8:29 PM, Blogger Calculating Bitch said...

DHL is the worst by far. Back in my accounting days, I used to cut the royalty checks for several authors. I sent a check for $500,000 to one of the authors via DHL. They gave me a tracking number at the time of pickup. I emailed it to the author, so he'd have an idea of when he'd be getting his check. Ten days later he called me and said he still hadn't gotten it yet, and that the tracking number I had given him didn't exist.

After an hour on the phone with DHL, the customer service woman determined that the package had been picked up from my office, but never returned to the DHL office for processing. How convenient that a half-a-million dollar check never made it the nine miles to the DHL office...

Needless to say, I put a stop payment on it and rushed the author another check, this time via FedEx - with no problems.

Three weeks later, the author called and said he had received the first check I had sent. 31 days after I had originally sent it.

So, not to add to your issues, Dicta, but hopefully Dell will actually receive your computer in less then a month. Good Luck!

 
At 8/10/2006 12:13 AM, Blogger josh said...

lately, people have proven themselves irresponsible and wholly useless. therefore, i trust drop off places like i trust a fat kid to guard a hamburger stand.

i have completely lost faith in others, and never more than right now have i seen the wisdom behind the saying "if you want something done right, do it your fucking self."

 
At 8/10/2006 2:19 PM, Blogger josh said...

hahahaha thanks for the support buddy. sometimes a part of me thinks i should quit school, buy a bunch of dell computers, order stuff via dhl, and write a book.

 
At 8/10/2006 11:52 PM, Blogger Supreme Monkey Overlord said...

josh, i've never agreed with you more. other people suck. i can't rely on anyone at work and just have to sit back and watch the fireworks sometimes. fuck em.

side note, my last DHL experience was actually very plesent and everthing went perfect, as well as all my dell orders. i simply can't hate them since they've done no wrong by me.

 
At 8/11/2006 11:15 AM, Blogger Brancibeer said...

"At 3 the hangover was long gone but my bitterness had grown"

Ha ha perfect! Ironically, (or syncronistically..) I had my own exeperience involving DHL yesterday. I overnighted a series of 13 packages containing contracts to be signed by grantees (important stuff). The next day i went down to the mail room in my building only to find an enourmously incompetent slow stoned out kid. They had no record of my recent transaction nor any means of helping me (get a tracking number). This kid was so burnt he was still smoldering. He tried to blame it on DHL (which ok, partially their fault too). God damn mailroom....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home