Confessions of a Litigious Mind

The random, irrelevant musings of a law school graduate.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

killing me incompetently

i had an interview today. it was the first one in a little bit, so i went all out. i got a haircut yesterday, i brushed up on some of the things i might need to know, i showered, and put on a nice suit.

the interview was originally scheduled for friday, but when i called in to confirm (and it was a good thing i did) i was told the woman who would interview me was on vacation last week and wouldn't be in until 1pm today. so i said ok, how about 2? ok, you're all set for 2pm on tuesday. great. thanks. great.

i hadn't been to this particular place before, so i set aside a little extra time to get there today. things went fine, and i got there about 15 minutes early. perfect. i walk into the hr office and the woman greets me and says, "hi, are you caesar?"

now friends, gather a mental picture of me. strangers, look at my south park avatar thing of me (it's dead on). do i look like a fucking caesar to any of you?

i explain who i am, and it quickly becomes apparent that she hasn't even heard of me, let alone seen my application. she didn't know for which position i was interviewing. i explain how i talked to someone and set up this appointment time and blah blah blah. she apologizes and says that she cannot interview me today because she already has 3 other interviews scheduled for 2pm today (none of whom were there by the way, so i'm curious as to how her priority system works) and how she just got back from vacation and blah blah blah. then she makes a joke about how if i'm hired i won't schedule appointments for her the day after she gets back from vacation. excuse me if i don't find it amusing.

despite the fact that i'm completely turned off towards working for this company, i rescheduled the interview for thursday. part of me is curious about the job, part of me feels a sense of urgency, and part of me knows that this is a stupid reason to not interview there (here's where the whole struggle between the don't-work-for-a-place-you'll-hate camp and the beggars-can't-be-choosers camp exists. so i'm headed back there for 2pm on thursday. again, right in the middle of the day. they better not fuck up an entire 2 days of mine this week for nothing. although, based on the "help" they have now, it seems i'd be able to do a better job with one chromosome tied behind my back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home