Confessions of a Litigious Mind

The random, irrelevant musings of a law school graduate.

Monday, August 13, 2007

frustration, curiousity, and intrigue

frustration, curiousity, and intrigue. they all got together in my head and had an orgy. i'm really sick of interviewing. i've already turned down 2 jobs because they werent right. well, one i turned down, and the other i just let fade away into nothingness. do i regret it? sometimes. but not always.

i'm sick of being either under or over qualified for jobs. the former i understand, and the latter wouldn't be so bad if it didn't make employers dismiss me so quickly. no one's willing to sit down with me and listen to my "i understand this job is shit but i want it anyway because i'm willing to work my way up thru your company" monologue. just sit and listen. sit and fucking listen.

as a result, my summer 2007 income has come from playing poker. finally the frustration, curiousity, and intrigue built up enough inside me, and i said 'fuck it' and i let them mingle. their lovechild became this.

i haven't been able to sit down and read a book yet since law school. this makes me sad, because i enjoy reading (or, i used to). but if this is going to be my "job" for now, i might as well work to get better at it. hopefully something else will come along very soon, but i've learned you can't always rely on education.

i don't regret law school at all. i worked hard, i learned a lot, and i grew as a person. i'm sure i'll get something fine eventually, but this is getting ridiculous. i've grown a lot, but my patience is waning, not that i've ever had a ton to begin with. although, poker does teach patience, at least if you want to be good at it. at least i can learn from something i enjoy. and i need all the patience i can get.

6 Comments:

At 8/13/2007 2:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow. So you're a professional poker player now. That's awesome. Good luck.

One request, though: don't be a Matusow-style douchebag.

 
At 8/13/2007 2:58 PM, Blogger Holmes said...

I'm with you.
It's going to take time, especially b/c you're looking at a specific city. It's going to take time for me and I'm looking at a whole region.

 
At 8/13/2007 3:39 PM, Blogger The Namby Pamby said...

that's a great book. helped my job skill out a lot

 
At 8/13/2007 4:55 PM, Blogger josh said...

ismael - thanks. my style is much more reserved at the table, though i do enjoy friendly conversation with those around me. the poker table is one of the times i enjoy strangers' company the most, which i also find odd since they're there specifically to take my money.

holmes - it's rough. most of it has been networking so far, and that's ok. a good first step i imagine. also, let me know more specifically at some of the places you're applying because i know a lot of people in that area and though the odds are bad, you never know when you can strike gold.

namby - awesome. the reviews were all really good. i was deciding between that book and this one. i think i made the right choice for now. if the harrington one is insufficient it's not like my unemployed ass doesn't have time to read the other one too.

 
At 8/13/2007 7:59 PM, Blogger The Namby Pamby said...

I spent way too much time reading poker books. I have like 20 of them. In Law School, and I supposed now still, I want to be Mike McDermott.

And then have Famke Jansen around to make sweet sweet love

 
At 8/13/2007 11:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Is there someone around who doesn't want to make sweet, sweet love to Famke Jansen?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home