Confessions of a Litigious Mind

The random, irrelevant musings of a law school graduate.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

back door blues

i'm currently trying to write a paper, so naturally i'm writing a post instead. the paper is on critical legal studies for my jurisprudence seminar. it's a pretty sweet paper actually, because it's pretty philosophical in nature, which i like. some of you might be surprised, but i was a philosophy and religion major in undergrad. so i'm really a solid authority, and you can take my word about god (dont give me shit for that, i didnt actually read it all).

paper aside, i have 2 things to discuss, 1 dealing with home and the other with school.

so my landlord has been telling me since august or september he was going to get me a new screen door. fine. granted, mine was a piece of shit with duct tape over a hole and the handle was taped on, but it was fine. it wasnt the real door. i didnt really have a problem with it. well, he finally sent someone out to change my door today. the whole thing just started awkwardly when i pulled into the little off street parking lot behind my apartment to see a car parked right in the middle, essentially taking up 3 spots. "motherfucker" i exclaimed. then i got out of my car. well, the guy was just on the other side of the fence and more than likely heard it. he came out and told me he could move his car, then did after i told him no it was ok and had already parked my car. off to a good start.

so he tells me he's going to get me my new door today. great. as i leave for my 1230pm class, nothing has happened. when i get back at 2pm, my screen door has been removed, and this guy has apparently checked out for the day. what the hell?! so it was a gorgeous day out, and i had to have the damn door closed all day cuz the guy removed the first door. what kind of rationality could one possibly be using when they decide to remove the first door before acquiring the second one?! why remove my door when you wont have the second door today? the only thing i can think is that the guy was thinking it was one less thing he'll have to do when he gets the door. but fuck that, i live here, its awesome out, i want my door open. moron! and to top it off, he leaves the old door on my balcony, right in the way of the stairs propped up against the railing, where it is evidently prone to falling. jackass.


on to school. the schedule of courses for next semester came out, and it is god awful. being that i'm sick in the head, i enjoy tax. but there is only 1 tax course being offered all next semester, compared to at least half a dozen in the spring. i must ask, what the fuck are all the tax professors doing next semester? sitting on their thumbs? sitting on each others' thumbs? shit, man. on top of that, courses that might be grouped by interest (e.g. business courses, transactional courses, etc) are all scheduled in such a way that you cant take them all, because times overlap. and when you can take them, their exams are all back to back at the end of the semester. i was going to take partnership taxation, family law, and estate planning, but besides the time conflict these exams are 3 days in a row. thanks new dean, you giant prick.

so now i'm probably going to take bullshit courses i have no interest in and will never use because, well, that's all i can take. maybe i'll take a class that will be useful for the bar, but i'm not even sure how many of those are offered next semester. and oh yeah, basic tax is now a 4 credit class instead of 3. i could use that extra credit. it would probably mean i could take 1 fewer course next year.

and on top of all this, our esteemed faculty has voted to eliminate requirements after the first year other than professional responsibility and a seminar. so this means no tax, no evidence, no sales/secured transactions, no appellate practice. basically, you can now come to our law school and graduate a fucking retard if you want to. all you have to take are the basic first year courses like property, contracts, torts, and crim law. not that this even helps me anyway, cuz even under the old regime with requirements, i will have finished them after this semester. that's right, all of next year is pure electives for me. can i ask again what the fucking point is? living in little theoretical law land is great, but nothing, i repeat nothing, i do next year will do anything to further prepare me for post graduate practice. basically, they just want my fucking money.


please excuse the cursing. i like to curse.


DOOR UPDATE: after 2 hours of drilling and hammering, the handyman knocked on my door and told me he needs to get another piece of wood because the doorway is too wide for the new door. but on the upside, the doorway is now a lot holier.

7 Comments:

At 4/20/2006 11:33 PM, Blogger law monkey said...

actually, dicta, i've been thinking about the whole shizziness of the schedule thing. you know how everyone's planning on graduating a semester early? (many acquaintances have indicated their intentions). well, by only giving us good classes in the spring, instead of the fall, the administration can effectively keep us here another semester, which equals about $14K/student for the school. f-ing bastards!

also, i feel your pain about the repair problem. my gas oven hasn't been working for about two weeks. my landlord's known about it for two weeks. and he's apparently been leaving messages for the repairman, who has fucking dropped off the face of the earth (yeah, i'm pissed). but has my landlord done anything about it? no. heaven forbid we call lowe's - as incompetent as they may be, at least they have more than one person on their staff!

oh, and one of my burners doesn't work. i might just call the gas co and have them fix it, and then charge my landlord. bastard. i need to take a look at that least KT i signed ....

 
At 4/21/2006 2:54 AM, Blogger Damon said...

A religion major? You never told us that you cheeky bastard!

I thought I was going to again use my True Value experience to mention that maybe they were replacing the screen within your old door frame and therefore needed to take the door away. Maybe that was the case and he forgot it. You can lean on Matt and I for this type of thing as we have both cut many keys and replaced screens.

Now I am speaking well out of my area of expertise: with state bar exams, the requirements to become a lawyer are already out of the school's hand's are they not? Then it should be a good thing that the school lets you choose your own courses so as to pick what is relavent to what you will be doing and where you will be working.

You guys don't even say "We are Penn State" down there do you?

 
At 4/21/2006 9:35 AM, Blogger josh said...

no, i'm definitely getting a whole new door, which is what makes this situation baffling. cuz the fake glass on the bottom part has a huge hole i've taped over and the handle isnt attached but for some duct tape.

the other thing is, while there are variations in the law among the states, there is no huge difference usually. the problem is also that there arent even classes i'd be interested in anyway. plus, nothing offered next fall is relevant to anything except sucking.

 
At 4/21/2006 9:42 AM, Blogger Damon said...

Ha, sucks about the way they schedule crappy courses to bore you, then make you stay longer.

But I forgot to point out one of the myriad benefits of living in Sweden is that we don't use screens because there are so few bugs (counterpoint: you say, "that's because it's so f*cking cold they can't survive")

 
At 4/21/2006 9:51 AM, Blogger josh said...

haha. the other thing i forgot to mention above is that learning law theory in school is all good, but depending on what area you practice in, you'll learn up to 95% of the specifics on the job.

for example, if i tried to litigate an easements case from just what i learned in first-year property, my client would lose and then i'd be sued for malpractice.

 
At 4/21/2006 11:55 AM, Blogger sadielady said...

Send them over to my house, gab, I've got tons of stuff that needs to be fixed. Ahem. I still haven't fixed the flippy thing in the shower that makes the tub drain - I have to hold it down with my toes to make the water drain when I'm in the shower. That's probably a really easy and quick repair, yet I do nothing about it.

 
At 4/21/2006 12:31 PM, Blogger Supreme Monkey Overlord said...

damon, i was also thinking True-value about the screen, but if he left it there then it all goes out the window. if he was just going to replace the door, he should have brought a new one with him.

about classes not preparing you for hte real world... of all the crapi learned in school, right now i use approximatly 2 weeks worth of learning. period. the rest is just that piece of paper behind me saying "I R not retarded". the way i figure it, they pay us to just be responsible and do the right thing. my degree says i'm basically not a fuck up andi can figure out whatever you want me to do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home